Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Day 4 : pJax - HTML5 Push state + AJAX

Today I was exploring more about HTML5 Push State and found this library called pjax by defunct who is a co-founder of Github.

What is pjax?

As mentioned in the website, pjax loads html from your server into the current page without a full page load. It's ajax with real permalinks, page titles, and a working back button that fully degrades.

I'm planning to use this approach in one of my projects. The main advantages I see are:

  • Less perceived load time of the page, thus enhanced user experience. And,
  • Less bandwidth consumption and load on the server as only few fragments of content will get requested.
  • The back button is not broken in this approach and the content is easily crawl-able by search bots and works for non-js based browsers as well.

I'll post about any problems (if any) I face in one of my later posts.